At Hunter Orthodontics, February is National Children’s Dental Health Month, as well as National Dental Health Month, and we thought we’d promote good oral hygiene among our patients with a few tips and tricks, courtesy of the American Dental Association.
• Teeth brushing techniques: It takes only two minutes to properly brush using short, gentle strokes and devoting extra attention to the gumline, areas around fillings and hard-to-reach areas such as the back teeth.
• Flossing: hold the floss snugly between thumbs and index finger and insert it between each of the teeth, making sure to go beneath the gumline and curving the floss around the base of each tooth.
• Snack wisely: choose healthy snacks such as cheese, fruits and vegetables and avoid crunchy, sticky, chewy candies that can stick to the teeth. If you eat these snacks, be sure to brush after doing so.
• Carbonated or sugary drinks: these drinks create acids that can damage the teeth when mixed with saliva, so they should be avoided altogether. If you’re going to drink one of these beverages, don’t sip on it throughout the day. Rather, drink it and then brush your teeth.
• Regular dental visits: in addition to seeing our team at Hunter Orthodontics during your orthodontic treatment, you should visit your dentist for professional check-ups and teeth cleaning appointments about every six months.
National Dental Health Month aims to increase awareness about the importance of our patients’ oral health. If you have any questions about keeping your mouth healthy, or about your treatment with Hunter Orthodontics, please feel free to give us a call or ask us on Facebook!